How to make your plan a reality to build a fence, purchase a shed to store all those odds and ends that have collected around the house, add a garage, or even build that dream home you have always wanted . Obviously for this exercise we will assume all the basics have been explored, like financing! The next step is to do your due diligence and make those dreadful calls. First call should be to see if what you desire is even possible. That call should start with your local government office and below is a list of suggested questions you may want to ask;
- Are there any restrictions?
- Are permits required?
- How do I submit for those permits?
- Is there a cost to get a permit?
- How long should I expect before getting approval?
As far the Village of Bradford, you will need to contact Roger Looker at 937-448-2718 ext.3. Furthermore if you are simply wishing to explore options before making that call, all of the ordinances for the Village of Bradford are listed here on this website, (CLICK HERE) to search Village Ordinances. Depending on your project, additional calls will be in order. If building and unsure if a building permit is required., contact Miami County Building Department, as they will be issuing that permit regardless if the project is located on the Darke County Side of Bradford. You can call 937-440-8121 to ask questions about building permits or (CLICK HERE) to link to Miami County Building Departments Website.
Once you have sought out the information required to move your project forward, it’s now time to assist you in the development of your site plan. A site plan is generally required in just about every project you wish to tackle. A site plan is a top view, bird’s eye view of a property that is drawn to scale. A site plan can show: property lines. outline of existing and proposed buildings and structures and distance between buildings. When applying for a zoning permit, fences permit, adding gravel for parking, a driveway and even a simple location of a shed, a site plan is required. The site plan can be presented on a 8.5 x 11 sheet of computer paper. Below is information that is required when drafting that plan;
- Bottom right corner of the plan the property owners name, address of project location, and a phone number is required.
- lot size needs to be identified
- Any streets or alleys that abuts the project site.
- All out structures on the project site will need to be identified and also there sizes and setbacks to lot lines
- The purposed project must be identified on the drawling along with the size and setbacks to lot lines.
- Any easements on the property will need to be identified.
- Identify any other important feature.
Now that you have drafted a sight plan you are ready to schedule a meeting with the Administrator to review the site plan and to get your permit. The cost of a zoning permit is $20.00, a fence permit is $15.00, a shed permit is $20.00 and when adding a parking area or driveway the permit is free.
When you have received your Village permit, and required to get a building permit. You will need to take the zoning permit along with you to the county in order to get a building permit. Again, please call Miami County Building Department to understand what will be required to get the building permit.
Below is an example of a Site Plan: